Seniors head north for affordable college

Juniors Lily McCartney, Ellie Rogers and Bailey Bossert listen to a representative from Franklin University Switzerland

Amissa Page, News Editor

While many seniors can’t wait to go out of state for college, leaving the country for school has more benefits than they might think.

“Degrees are shorter term and less expensive. Instead of paying for four years of college, students pay for three years.” College and Career Coordinator Beth Arey, said.

At ETHS, increasing numbers of students have expressed interest in studying abroad. Europe is the top destination for American students; over half of abroad students attended UK universities in the 2013-2014 school year, followed by Italy, Spain and France. Yet, travel, tuition and living expenses add up, which is why Canada is increasing in popularity.

A nine hour drive up north can get you the some of the top schools in the world for a fraction of the price. International students at McGill University in Montreal, ranked 30th in the world, can pay as little as about $14,000 a year for tuition.

“Every year we have students who have dual citizenship and travel experience who qualify for in-country tuition, which is even cheaper” Arey said.

Representatives from seven international schools have visited ETHS, including McGill University and Institute of the Arts Barcelona, a performing arts school in Spain.

Besides price, studying abroad gives students a true sense of independence and the opportunity to interact with other international students. Also, it gives students the opportunity to fully immerse themselves into another culture, an alternative for a gap year.

For students who don’t want to spend all four years in another country, Arey suggests that students consider attending an American university with a study abroad program. This way they spend a semester to a full year away, but still remain connected to America.

Countries like Canada want international students at their schools, and they make it easy to apply and transition into living in a new country.

The similarities between the US and Canada ease the transition for students, but it’s just different enough to be new and exciting. At McGill, 24% of their students come from other countries.