Wildkit Radio takes the airwaves by storm

Senior Khalil Royster recording his show, E-Town Rundown.

Caroline Jacobs, Feature Editor

While much of the world may be moving away from broadcast radio, ETHS is reviving it with the new Wildkit Radio Station.

“Radio is really cool and it’s a kind of journalism that’s really accessible all over the globe, especially when it’s online,” senior Emma Stein says.

The station has something for everyone, with a variety of music and talk shows topics ranging from sports to comedy to pop culture commentary.

Stein created the station last year, and, after enlisting the help of a couple students and technology specialist William Jenkins, was able to create something that is easily accessible.

If you’re looking for a good laugh, seniors Khalil Royster and Matt Hunt host a comedy show called E-Town Rundown. They talk about a wide variety of things including odd news or really anything they think is funny.

According to Kip Macsai-Goren, another senior on the board of the station, Wildkit Radio provides a really great opportunity for ETHS students to get their voices out in so many different ways.

“It is important that people know they can really make a show about anything they want. It can be five minutes of jokes or three hours of classical music broadcasts,” Macsai-Goren says.

Seniors Harison Witt and Joey Eovaldi host a sports talk show every Tuesday and Sunday called Beardsley Bums. Each show, they talk and debate ETHS, Chicago and national sports, and have had guests like student-athletes, Barstool Frederic and Northwestern University basketball player Gavin Skelly on every show.

But if sports aren’t your thing, seniors Miyoki Walker and Henry Abarca host a pop culture talk show called Lunch at Tiffany’s. They talk about all of the latest pop culture news, keeping listeners up to date on celebrity happenings, media updates, and in general their picks of the week’s news.

All of the content and production is created by students. Students who wish to have a show on the radio just have to submit their idea and with approval from the board, they can proceed with the broadcasting process.

Overall, the station has a lot of potential to reach a large audience, allowing students to express themselves in a way they haven’t been able to previously.

“It’s a really great way to reach alumni and parents with the happenings at ETHS. It’s also really good practice for broadcast journalism in general,” Stein says.

To access the station, go to tunein.com and look up “Wildkit Radio,” which grants access to the 24/7 broadcasting. If you’re interested in hosting your own show on the Wildkit Radio station or have other inquires, contact [email protected].