Photo courtesy of Mac Mettee

Photo courtesy of Mac Mettee

Mac Mettee

May 11, 2023

With great speed and vision, senior wide receiver Mac Mettee will continue his football career at DePauw University, a private liberal arts college in Greencastle, Ind.. Having played football all four years of high school, Mettee has had the privilege of watching the program evolve. Despite a losing season this past fall, Mettee affirms that it is about more than just football. 

“The work I have put in for the sport has motivated me in everything I do,” Mettee said. “Football has taught me [the importance] of discipline.”

Yet, when he first began the recruitment process, Mettee was hesitant whether he wanted to pursue football at the collegiate level. After visiting DePauw a number of times, however, Mettee could imagine himself there; he believes that DePauw will offer him a well-rounded college experience. 

In football, there is [a] different kind of bond.”

— DePauw commit Mac Mettee

“I am looking forward to being in a winning culture,” Mettee said. 

From the perspective of Mettee, the rivalry between ETHS and New Trier fueled a level of comradery that boosted team morale throughout the course of his involvement. 

“Beating New Trier my junior year on Homecoming was extremely memorable,” Mettee said.

Growing up, Mettee dabbled in a range of sports before uncovering that football was where his passion resided. Mettee attests that football is a true team sport; it integrates the values of unity, cooperation and brotherhood.

“I played basketball growing up, but one player can take over [the] team,” Mettee shared. “In football, it’s not like that. Everyone has to [work] together. There is [a] different kind of bond.”

As he reflects on his years in Evanston, Mettee will miss the people that have shaped the person he is today.

“A lot of my closest friends are people I’ve known most of my life, so [leaving] them is going to be hard,” Mettee noted.

Mettee acknowledged that the transition from high school to college marks an important milestone, and while it may be intimidating to brace the unknown, he is excited to see what the future holds.