Photo courtesy of Isaiah Turk

Third Place: La Principal

January 27, 2023

No matter the time of year, a cold Mexican Coca-Cola, fresh chips and guacamole, followed by tacos, and finished off with churros sounds appealing to everyone. 

Located at 700 Main St., you can find just this. One of Evanston residents’ favorite places to eat is La Principal, where you can order amazing Mexican cuisine, from tacos and tortas to tamales. Upon entering, you are greeted by a kind host ready to show you to your seat, where you’ll find a menu full of options– there’s something for everyone with their vegetarian options on the menu and many fish and meat entrees as well. 

“I love La Principal for its environment, the welcoming staff, and of course the food. The traditional tacos are some of the best you’ll find in the area. They also have quite an inclusive menu that includes options for vegetarian eaters as well. I also appreciate the pricing, for the quality of food you get it is very reasonable,” says junior Sofia Harper. 

My experience with La Principal was a great one. After sitting down for an early dinner and ordering chips and guac, I watched the restaurant fill with conversation and hungry people–groups of friends and families, eager to sit down and enjoy delicious food. I admired the colorful art and decor throughout the restaurant and enjoyed hearing the volume increase as those around me cracked jokes and connected through stories.

When it was time to order the main course, the diversity of the menu made it so difficult to decide what to ask for. As a pescatarian, there were several options that I hadn’t tried before. Their Baja Fish taco is one of the best I’ve ever had; the sweet mango complimented the crispy fish and made for an outstanding flavor.

And of course, the meat options on the menu are phenomenal too, according to Harper.

“I feel you can never go wrong with their food, but my go-to order would have to be Chicken Tinga taco and the Carnitas taco,” Harper shares. “La Principal’s Chicken Tinga is my favorite around, the flavor is spot on and I love pairing it with their sauces.”