Photo courtesy of Isa De Los Reyes

Runner-Up: Taco Diablo

January 27, 2023

A mouth-watering taco shell with a crunchy texture, crispy chicken, fresh cabbage and carrots, and the tangy flavor of a special aioli sauce. All these flavors come together to make a vibrant, flavorful ensemble that compares to no other. While there are many fabulous Mexican restaurants in Evanston, people have very strong opinions on which is the best.
Sophomore Signe Harris thinks Taco Diablo is the best restaurant in this category. She describes it as a place where

“The service is great and their food is always fresh and tastes good.” When asked what her favorite dish from Taco Diablo is, she states, “I love everything from Taco Diablo, but I think my favorite are the tacos and chips and guacamole.”

While Harris has strong beliefs about her favorite Taco Diablo dish, others have varied opinions on this topic. Lucy Consiglio and Raya Mae, two seniors at ETHS, share their love for the Evanston restaurant exclaiming,

“Yes! We love Taco Diablo!”

When asked what their favorite dish was, Consiglio said, “The carnitas tacos are really good.” Raya explained that her favorite was the Al Pastor tacos. Already, the tacos seem to be a pretty big hit for Taco Diablo!

As I searched the halls for more opinions on the subject, another person added that their favorite dish at Taco Diablo was the three tacos that come with rice and beans of their choice. Turns out, Taco Diablo had a reason for putting ‘Taco’ in their restaurant name!

Their variety of tacos is extraordinary with its crispy chicken, steak, fish, shrimp and vegetarian options, and even a vegan option taco isn’t the only thing Taco Diablo executes remarkably. They also serve tortas, enchiladas, salads and, of course, their scrumdiddlyumptious churros and flan.

With its dim and eerie atmosphere, Taco Diablo is a memorable restaurant not just because of its fantastic food, but also its unique ambiance. The restaurant is embellished with art that fits their theme of devils, otherwise known as diablos. There’s no doubt that many restaurants in Evanston are exquisite, and each one is different, but some restaurants just take the cake! Or should I say churro?