‘Now and Then’: A beautiful belated Beatles song

53 years after 1970’s “Let It Be,”Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr released The Beatles’ final song, “Now and Then,” on Nov. 2. Since John Lennon and George Harrison are no longer alive, this was an emotional and meaningful final song for many Beatles fans. 

I’ve been a Beatles fan for many years. My parents played their songs for me as a kid, and I have specific memories of singing their songs on road trips.

The Beatles bring up warm memories for me, and the love I have for that band is a love I share with many. They were renowned across the globe and had a significant impact on the music world. Most thought they would never release another song after both Lennon and Harrison passed, but they miraculously did thanks to new AI technology and previous recordings. 

John Lennon made three demos before he died, two of which were recorded and released by Harrison, Starr and McCartney, but the last one, titled “Now and Then,” remained unfinished until recently. Since Lennon recorded those demos, they could use his voice in the final recordings, so he was still featured on both songs. Old guitar recordings from Harrison back when the three tried to rerecord it before Harrison died were also used on the song. 

The song is melancholy, with the piano and guitar in the background sounding almost haunting. You can especially hear the sadness and longing in McCartney’s voice when he sings “Oh, now and then/ I want you to be there for me,” and during his guitar solo at the end of the song. 

The Beatles have written many love songs such as “Here, There, and Everywhere,” and “I Want To Hold Your Hand” that focus on romantic love, but not all love songs need to be romantic. This is displayed with “Now and Then,” a song that conveys love for close friends. It’s a song that will hold Lennons and Harrisons’ memory forever.

On the surface, this song is very emotional, like any song about missing someone. But when you dig deeper and discover the small details about the making of the song, it says so much more. It’s about missing your best friend, missing the person you’re now twice the age of when they died, missing the man you worked with for years. It gets even more emotional when you learn that the last words Lennon ever spoke to McCartney were, “Think about me every now and then, old friend.” This song was an ode to the late John Lennon and George Harrison, and for young Beatles fans all over the world, it’s the first song The Beatles have ever released while we are alive. 

Prior to this song, Beatles fans like me, who are in high school, have only ever heard Beatles songs that had been released 50+ years ago. To witness the release of a new Beatles song was incredibly surreal, and something I never thought would happen. The song signifies the end of the Beatles, and I’m sure it’s a form of closure for the two living members. It truly is now and then for them, as it’s a song released now by two members of The Beatles, but it’s also a callback and tribute to the late John Lennon and George Harrison. It’s meaningful and sweet, and overall a wonderful final song.