Maker’s Market: making artists dreams accessible

Noah Polansky
Maker’s Market brings together local artists and art-lovers in a laidback setting.

Art, music, friends and artists gathered, all in the heart of a parking garage in downtown Evanston. Evanston Made created this community-based art show, called Maker’s Market, bringing artists of all ages and experiences together.

There are plenty of art shows across Evanston and its surrounding cities, featuring extremely high-end artists with an abundance of experience and most of all, money. Founder and co-director Lisa Degliantoni took this to mind when creating the Maker’s Market. When the Evanston artist community came to Degliantoni complaining about these extremely exclusive, high stress art shows, she decided to make a change.

“What would be done if we made another expensive and stressful market,” Degliantoni says. “Who wants to participate in that?”

The Maker’s Market acts like a first step into the art selling community for many Evanston artists. Being able to break down that initial anxiety for the artists was one of Degliantoni’s original goals when creating the Maker’s Market.

In addition, Degliantoni was determined to build an inclusive community where anyone is welcomed.

We’re really trying to help people get to know their neighbors meet new people, and then support them by buying their pieces.”

— Evanston Made founder and co-director Lisa Degliantoni

“We’re really trying to help people get to know their neighbors,” Degliantoni explains. “Meet new people, and then support them by buying their pieces.”

Being able to attract every level of artist or art-lover in Evanston is easier for the Maker’s Market. This is due to the lowkey setting that is often pleasing and more comfortable to the less experienced.

The concept of the market is an easy way to congregate those who have something in common. As an artist, junior Naomi Criz expands on her experience being a buyer at the Maker’s Market.

“Not everyone knows each other,” Criz says. “But they all come together with a common enjoyment for art.”

For the artists, representing themselves to others can often be difficult, Degliantoni notices. As humans, we always have a self-conscious voice, and this comes especially with art because of the vulnerability necessary to create.

“I do think that a lot of people are afraid of authentic pursuits,” Degliantoni explains. “They let perfection be the enemy, and they don’t think they’re good enough”.

Aiding artists into being more confident in chasing their pursuits of artistry is what Degliantoni, and the others that work at Evanston Made aim towards. Being able to bring that joy three or more times a year is something unique and made for the community.

Evanston Made and its Maker’s Market