ETHS celebrates LatinX heritage week

Nora Miller, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Tradition was shared with Evanstonians during the The Day of the Dead celebration on Nov. 1 in East Cafeteria. An event translated to La Dia de los Muertos in Spanish was the culmination of LatinX Heritage celebrations hosted during the school throughout the week. Activities during the fest included making mini-piñatas, face painting, loteria and other festivities. Latinx Staff Caucus and the LatinX Quest invited the public to celebrate various aspects of Latinx Heritage at this Friday event, which filled about half of East Cafeteria.

The fest planning committee was made up of members of LatinX Quest board and younger students hoping to celebrate their culture with the community. Members began planning in early September and advertising celebration events by sending emails to all LatinX identifying students, hanging posters, posting on social media and catering to families in the high school to attend. 

“Day of the Dead is to remember the people who have been lost. And instead of being sad about it, we celebrate them in order to bring joy, in order to remember them and not for them to be forgotten,” explained senior Michelle Hernandez,  one of the LatinX Senior Board activities coordinators.

The main lobby featured a Dia de los Muertos altar adorned with brightly painted sugar skulls and marigold wreaths to celebrate the dead. The Nov. 1 celebration was centered around the Day of the Dead but also welcomed people in the community to engage with Latinx culture.

Check out the conversation with ETHS students at The Day of the Dead celebration here