Stop pitting women against each other

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stop pitting women against each other

Sophie Monzo, Entertainment Columnist

By Sophie Monzo
Entertainment Columnist

Total cat fight.
A recent brawl involving two successful rappers, Cardi B and Nicki Minaj, took the media by storm, but we need to stop pitting females stars against each other.
The fight between the two prominent artist showed Cardi B throwing a shoe at Minaj. This action sparked a fire throughout various news sources from People to CNN. I get it; people want to talk about these two influential rappers and the drama that is occurring between them. However, Team Cardi vs. Team Nicki is just not right. Both of these women have worked diligently to build their careers, so why pit them against one another for the sole purpose of entertainment?
Unfortunately, these are not the only female stars forced to live out the assumption that women in the same field can not work together civilly. There have even been rumors going around that friends, Taylor Swift and Karlie Kloss were feuding after not being seen together for awhile.
The entertainment industry’s history has proven that Hollywood is notorious for pitting two highly successful women against each other. This whole idea only fuels the stigma that women cannot get along. It emphasizes that women that work together are bound in some way or another to encounter conflict. Women in entertainment are often protrayed fueding with little evidence of actually fighting.
For example, over the summer Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood denyed the rumors of fighting and claimed there was no beef between the two singers, even though tabloids stated the opposite.
Promoting the idea that women cannot work together promotes the incorrect stereotype that women are less serious than men as well. It is rare to hear about male co-stars feuding with each other. Women, on the other hand, get accused of fighting seemingly every week.
Accusing women of these actions sends the message that they’re cady and incapable of the more serious roles that are often attributed to men in the entertainment industry. Consquently, women are viewed as forms of entertainment rather than strong, hardworking individuals. Of course, it is known that this is not the case. Which is why the promotion of pitting women against each other is so dangerous.
Back to Cardi B and Nicki Minaj, both artists have worked assiduously to build up their careers and become successful artists. Yet, when you search their names what typically comes up is their violent relationship. Minaj has spoken about the recent fight, saying she wants to transform Cardi to become a better version of herself. The problem still remains that media often times will egg on fights between the women in order to get reads or spark a consvery.
With the media constantly trying to pit women against each other this covers up the fact that women in their own rights are working hard and still face bigger problems. The matter still stands and there is still huge discrimanation problems in the entertainment industry.
We should not tear women down, but instead build a community where women can receive the recognition that they deserve.