Where the girls at?!

Lollapalooza missing key factor: women.

Lollapalooza

Lollapalooza

Sophie Monzo, Entertainment Editor

When, in late March, Lollapalooza released its long awaited lineup, many applauded at the wide range of genres covered; however, there was one major missing piece: women.

After the drop of this year’s lineup, many were confused as to the headliners that Lollapalooza picked this year. Not out of a lack of musical diversity — Rock, Hip Hop, and Pop can all be seen throughout the first couples of lines — but from the fact that female artists are not mentioned until the fourth line.

Female acts that seem hidden in this years line up such as St. Vincent and Dua Lipa have already built up massive followings. Lipa singles have held the number one spot on radio stations for longer than any other song in five years, and St. Vincent has made high profile appearances on TV programs such as SNL. Both being established acts, these women seem to be neglected by the festival producers simply due to sexism.

Camila Cabello is set up to perform, but isn’t mentioned until fifth line, even with her break out hits like “Havana” and “Never Be the Same” in 2017. “Havana” alone had almost 140 million streams on Spotify. Cabello falls with other female acts at this year’s fest, under the category of “forgotten.”

Putting women in the fourth row and in smaller font clearly shows both the lack of respect for and representation of female artists in the music industry. “To put the names where it gets smaller and you can’t read them makes people give up, people don’t read past the fourth line,” Chicago Tribune music editor Jessica Roti says.

“Doing that to female musicians, it plays into the idea that they are lesser, or they should take up less space in that environment,” Roti says.

Even with the current activist-friendly climate of the the entertainment industry, it is clear that women are misrepresented in the business. “The outward projection of the industry is as this machine that really is only built for men to be successful in,” Roti explains.

The 2018 festival season as a whole has been lacking in giving the spotlight to female artists; so far the only female headliner this year has been Beyonce at Coachella.

These music festivals aren’t planned overnight; the organization comes months in advance, with weeks of opportunities to secure diverse, high profile acts. Looking back to the 2017 music awards, which saw female artists such as Sza, Adele and Beyonce being awarded for their work, this lack of representation seemingly comes solely from a lack of respect.

2018 was the first in 26 years of Lollapalooza that it took eight days for four-day passes to sell out; this could be due to the fact that people are noticing the bias toward men that the lineup shows.

Regardless of the reason for diminished interest, one thing is more than clear about Lollapalooza: it is in dire need of representation and respect for women.

About the Writer
Sophie Monzo, Entertainment and Layout Editor & Entertainment Columnist

I’m Sophie Monzo, the Entertainment Editor and Columnist for The Evanstonian. I am a senior, but I have been writing for the publication since I was a freshman. The Evanstonian has given me many opportunities for journalism and allowed me to look at parts of the school I would have never seen before. I have written about our school’s plays and band, but also the entertainment industry as a whole. I also am involved with Field Hockey in and out of school, and I love my dog Louie and Diet Coke.