Emma Thomas

ETHS rowing trains for the upcoming season.

Rowing program enters second year at ETHS

Heading into their second year at ETHS, the rowing team aims to maintain momentum as they grow outreach and establish a solid foundation of understanding among their athletes. Head coach Luciana Ruiz spearheaded the creation of the program, which was established during the 2022-2023 school year through partnerships with Northwestern and the dedication of several volunteer coaches.

“Rowing is known to be very elitist, very difficult to break into, extremely expensive,” said Ruiz. “The purpose of bringing rowing to Evanston is so that anyone at ETHS that wants to row can row.”

As a dual-season sport, the team competes in both the fall and winter, with pre-season training in the winter and sessions for new and returning athletes throughout the summer. Returning members from the 2022-2023 season participated in the Chicago Sprints Regatta in early July.

Sophomore Tim Lister competed in the event, where the Kits placed just 4.1 seconds behind New Trier’s winning time of 3:26.2.   Lister joined the team as a freshman with no prior knowledge of the sport.

“After one fall season, I was basically hooked,” Lister said. “I wanted to keep doing it, so I did the winter indoor season and the spring season. I think if we could win an outdoor event this fall, that’d be a lot of fun for the whole team.”

Tryouts for the fall novice and varsity teams take place on August 7-11 and are open to students of all grades and experience levels.

“We really value hard work. And the work ethic that an athlete would bring in, even if they have no experience,” said Ruiz. “It’s that willingness to try something new. And to not be perfect the first time but to continue learning. That’s what develops into a good rower.”

$0
$2000