Maya Valentine

Field Hockey looks to improve on a 7-9 finish.

Field hockey to rebuild after graduating top seniors

After graduating two varsity captains and key members of the starting lineup, the field hockey program anticipates yet another period of reconstruction.

“They’re big shoes to fill,” varsity head coach Annie Lesch says.

However, this isn’t a new fixture. The team entered last season with only six returning varsity players and despite losing top seniors to their respective college programs, the girls managed to go 7-9, securing a second-ever goal against New Trier.

A seasoned coach, Lesch believes that commitment, trust and respect will help the team go far.

“I value work ethic and how the girls treat one another,” Lesch says. “Creating a really strong team chemistry from day one is really important so that we can achieve our potential.”

Entering her fourth year on varsity, senior GG Hogan has seen the program grow and evolve. As a senior, Hogan highlights the importance of cultivating lasting relationships and creating a team culture where players are aligned by values and attitudes.

“I hope to bring everyone together and make sure that the returning players are open and inclusive.”

For the first time in program history, the girls varsity field hockey team will attend the 2023 Gateway Classic HS Tournament in St. Louis. Lesch hopes that the tournament will expose the players to new competition, while promoting cohesion and camaraderie.

The Evanstonian • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$0
$2000