Emma Thomas

Players resting at tryouts.

“Defense, defense, defense” the key to boys soccer success

Last season, ETHS boys soccer finished the regular season with a record of 13-6-2 (4-1 CSL) which earned them second place in the conference. Despite having high hopes in the postseason tournament, the Kits were upset by Lane Tech in the second round. This year, head coach Franz Calixte and the team are back with one common goal in mind.

“I want to win a state championship. I have some unfinished business here from when I was a player. That’s my goal every year, to do what I couldn’t do as a player here,” Calixte says.

Senior goalie Cade Likhite corroborated Calixte’s aspirations.

“[My goal this year is] definitely making it down to state and winning it. I think we have the right people to do it this year.”

Even after graduating 13 seniors last year, ETHS will be returning the majority of its core. The team also expects solid minutes out of the new seniors on varsity. In addition to the senior class, Likhite expects instant contributions from the juniors, one of the best classes during Calixte’s tenure at ETHS.

“I’m expecting the new juniors to be ready to play right away and to have a winning culture like we had last year. Since we all have state in mind, we need to have that mentality to start the year off,” Likhite says.

In order to make it down to state this year, ETHS will have to improve their defense. Last season the team gave up 24 goals in total, far more than previous years. Calixte’s main focus this year is simple.

“Defense, defense, defense,” Calixte exclaims. “Last year, we gave away too many weak goals that we couldn’t come back from. Two years ago, we had a team that gave up three goals the entire season. We’re not going to give up any goals this year. That is the kind of mentality that we’re expecting our guys to have.”

$0
$2000