Sophomore Kieran Low is set to build on a strong freshman year. Photo courtesy of Evanston Athletics on Twitter.

Low looks to drive boys golf into the postseason

Recent graduate Ryder Bellios placing 54th at State capped off one of the more successful seasons in recent history for the Evanston Boys’ golf team last year. But lost in the whirlwind of the postseason was then-freshman Kieran Low’s first-place finish at the Kits IHSA regional playoff. With Low having a year of high school golf under his belt, and with seniors David Castellini and Will Wagener returning, coach Jed Curtis is expecting to be back in a similar position.

“We play in the toughest conference in the state, but I think we have players that might surprise other teams that traditionally play really well. I don’t think it’s crazy to say that we can qualify our whole team for sectionals,” says Curtis.

Low’s 71 (1 over par) at the regional at Wilmette Golf Club marked the first time a Wildkit golfer has taken home a regional championship in over 60 years. While Low shot a 79 at sectionals and narrowly missed out on a state appearance, the future is bright for the young golfer. Castellini emphasizes that Low is just getting started.

“He’s such a beast. He’s so good. The fact that he was a freshman last year and one of our best players is incredible,” Castellini states.

To get ready for the season, numerous players have participated in Illinois Junior Golf Association (IJGA) tournaments. In addition to off-season tournaments, ETHS golfers across all levels of the high school team went down to Champaign earlier in the summer and golfed 72 holes in two days.

“It was a great trip down [in Champaign]. We played 36 holes each day for two days and the guys did awesome,” says Curtis.

The Kits will kick off their season at the Jones College Prep Invite at Meadows Golf Club on August 11.

$0
$2000