Then-juniors Anna Bergmann, Brigid Mulvihill and Molly Riley celebrate 2022 Sectional victory. (Photo courtesy of Anna Bergmann.)

Anna Bergmann

March 15, 2023

A positive influence on the field and a club leader off it, Anna Bergmann returns to motivate with a consistent attitude and strong work ethic. Though Bergmann played center midfield for the majority of last year, she will most likely be returning to her primary position on the defensive line. 

Playing soccer “as long as I can remember,” Bergmann has experience on both FC Lakeshore and two years on the ETHS varsity team.

“At the beginning, I had so many friends who [played soccer,]” she says. “I just like the community and the game.”

Within the team, Bergmann fulfills a strong social role as a friendly figure and morale booster.

“I think my teammates would say I’m kind of goofy, but at the end of the day, I’ll get it done,” says Bergmann. “I’m not super serious on the outside, but I definitely have a work ethic.”

With practice six times a week and games that stretch through the afternoon, varsity sports can be overwhelming, even for an athlete with strong personal drive.

“Having to balance my schoolwork with the practices is pretty demanding,” she says. “It’s kind of nice to have a regimen that I can stick to. But sometimes it does get hard because you get home from practice and all you want to do is take a shower and go to bed. But you’ve got four hours of homework. So sometimes it’s hard to keep yourself motivated school wise.”

Despite a busy schedule of soccer, Bergmann finds time for other passions, including snowboarding and running the ETHS sports business club. The club connects to individuals in the sports marketing and business world, inviting guests such as the Director of College Sports Marketing at Nike or the USC Associate Athletic Director to speak.

“I really like to snowboard, which is my favorite thing to do other than soccer, but it’s hard because we don’t have that much around here,” says Bergmann. “Other than that I’m a president for the Sports Business Club, which is super cool. We get to interview people in the sports in marketing careers.”