Photo courtesy of Molly Lemon

Molly Lemon

May 11, 2023

After coming into high school exclusively a swimmer, Molly Lemmon will leave ETHS as a water polo player. She will continue to play during her next four years at Macalester College.

“I didn’t think that [water polo] would be my main sport, because I swam from [the time] I was little. But once I did water polo, I realized how much I liked it,” says Lemmon.

Contrary to what it may seem, the decision to take up water polo was an easy one for Lemmon. For her, it was essentially a matter of continuing her family’s legacy.

“I have a lot of aunts, and my uncle—they all played [water polo] at the high school here,” says Lemmon. “I always knew that I would be doing it eventually, so I started freshman year.”

Ultimately, this choice proved to reap huge rewards not only for Lemmon but the ETHS girls water polo program as a whole. Last season, the team took home the conference title, its first one in ten years.

Despite her successes, however, Lemmon did not initially anticipate becoming a collegiate athlete. But upon discovering Macalester, things rapidly changed.

“I really wasn’t expecting to play any sports in college, but then I talked to a few people and they were like, ‘Oh! you could totally play water polo there,’ and I was like, ‘Oh my god! That would be so cool,’” says Lemmon. “Once I realized that I could play there, it was the perfect school for me.”

Like it is for all senior athletes, moving onto the next step is undoubtedly a bittersweet moment, and that is perhaps most true for Lemmon.

“Each year is so special, and to be able to get so close and be working towards a common goal, it’s just such a great experience,” says Lemmon, “It’s really sad to know not only is the season ending, but I’m not going to be playing with any of my teammates again.”

As well as playing water polo, Lemmon will also be pursuing a major in English Literature.