Sophia Cosma

May 12, 2022

Having grown up in New Jersey, Haverford College lacrosse commit Sophia Cosma developed her skills from an early age—putting her in the best position to succeed at ETHS.

“On the East Coast, lacrosse is super popular, so I got started because a bunch of girls my age were starting to play around second grade, and my mom signed me up,” Cosma explains. “I just had a really good time with a lot of good teammates, [and] I had some really great coaches through my time in the program. They kept telling me to pursue it further, and then, when I moved here, I continued playing club, and now I’ve decided I want to keep doing that in college. It’s been a really big part of my life, and I’ve always had a great time playing.”

However, when Cosma began the college recruiting process, she knew she had to pick a school that would be a good fit both athletically and academically. 

“I wanted to play in college for a while, because I couldn’t really see myself not playing lacrosse, and it’s becoming a bigger sport in different places. So whenever you’re going in for a sport, they always say, ‘Go to school that you’d go to if you weren’t playing a sport,’” Cosma elaborates. “For me, my academics and school environment were super important to me, and I knew there’d be a good balance with academics and athletics going [to Haverford].”

Between playing in a renowned lacrosse program, majoring in economics and returning to the East Coast, Cosma has a lot to look forward to over these next four years of her life. Yet, she’ll also have a lot to miss from her time at  ETHS.

“The highlight has been being a part of a supportive team culture, and I feel we have more fun than a lot of other teams do,” Cosma concludes. “The coaches are easy to talk to; you don’t feel afraid to go up to them about a concern that you have. If you have a concern, you can talk to them about it, and everyone’s there to support you.”