Mark Cannon

May 12, 2022

Mark “MJ” Cannon attributes his favorite part of high school football to the ETHS coaching staff. 

“The ETHS coaching staff made it a fun learning environment that made you want to come to practice, and as well they always showed their support and believed in me to give me the autonomy to make game-changing decisions,” he says. 

Cannon expresses how he appreciates the collaborative nature of football, “A highlight of my sport is although your individual role plays a great part in how the team performs, players can showcase their skills and talent without being selfish. For example; in my role as a DB I am able to do my job to help the team,  yet also able to demonstrate my skill by “picking” the ball off in a one-hand catch.” 

Cannon has loved the team atmosphere and bonding from playing football, so much that he wants to continue the sport in college by playing for Illinois State University. When making his college choice he wanted to look for a team and environment that would provide him with the same support and community ETHS had, he found that at Illinois State. 

“The football recruiting staff showed me how committed they were to be playing in their program. They were very genuine and transparent. The school offers many great majors, and it’s close to home,” says Cannon.