Brealyn Viamille

May 12, 2022

After a four-year stint on ETHS’ Varsity soccer team, senior Brealyn Viamille is heading to Florida International University this fall to continue her academic and athletic careers. The switch-footed striker is excited to join FIU’s roster after FIU head coach Jonathan Garbar recently refreshed the program.

“When making my list for colleges, I knew I wanted to be in Florida because of the family I have down there,” writes Viamille over email. “I knew I wanted to be near a city, and I wanted to be on a team that was heavily diverse. I did not have FIU on my list because of their record, but their newly-hired coach clearly wanted to make a change in the program.”

In October, Viamille visited a camp where she was able to showcase her playing ability and talk to Garbar about her future in FIU. She writes that he “was very honest and validated my reasons for wanting to play in college. I ended up committing that same week.”

Along with the soccer program, Viamille has several other things to look forward to in Florida, where she plans to major in sports medicine. She states that meeting new people is a venture she anticipates being especially fun, though she will miss the tight-knit atmosphere of ETHS’ team.

“The thing I will miss most about high school is my friends,” Viamille reflects. “Here, you always at the end of the day have a team you can go back to. I am also really excited about living on my own. I think competing and proving myself for a starting spot on the team will definitely be a challenge.”

Viamille’s first experience with soccer was watching her father play in a men’s league as a child, and the sport has always been a part of her life. Her passion for the sport shows in her incredible dedication and skill.

“Coming off of the field knowing you had a good game and being able to see the people you love in the stands supporting you is such an indescribable feeling for me,” Viamille writes. “It reminds me why I play.”