Alex+Vasquez

Alex Vasquez

May 12, 2022

After four years of high school baseball, senior Alex Vasquez is poised to continue his baseball career, committing to Denison University in Ohio. In addition to Division III Denison, Vasquez had a few other DIII offers, but, in the end, he felt Denison was the right fit for him.

Before taking that next step, however, Vasquez is in the process of finishing a rewarding high school baseball career. While he played both golf and baseball at ETHS, his fondest memories come from his time on the baseball field and with the team.

“High school baseball is something that is very special,” Vasquez says. “Playing baseball with all of the kids you go to school with is some of the most fun you will have.”

His favorite baseball memory is of a trip with his baseball team to Vero Beach during his freshman year. 

“It is usually an every year tradition, but because of COVID, we have not been able to go since.” Vasquez elaborates.

As Vasquez looks forward to making special memories at college, he reflects on what made his time in the Evanston baseball program so special. 

“The thing I will miss most about Evanston is the community that we have here. A supportive community in the school and the people around it. When I play a game it really feels like I have the whole town supporting me, which is a great feeling.” Vasquez says. 

One of the most supportive people of his baseball career thus far has been his coach Christopher D’Amato. 

“Ever since I stepped foot in the program, he has made me feel like family. Not only that, but he is always there to help me out in any way I need. Anything from helping with school work, coming to school at 6 a.m. to help me work something out in my game, or even just talking about life. He has been a very influential man in my life these past four years.” 

When planning what’s next, Vasquez currently doesn’t have a confirmed major, though he is interested in a job in the world of athletics or a career in business.

While he will miss his time at ETHS, Vasquez is looking forward to college and finding what’s next for him. 

“I think what excites me most about college is just having a fresh start,” Vasquez says. “All new people, all-new program. It will be fun to meet new people and have to make my way through the program and show what I got.”