Courtesy of Aaron Martin

Aaron Martin

May 12, 2022

Aaron Martin committed to Brown University early in his senior year, during a high school season in which he aided the Kits’ dominant performance. A standout athlete on the ETHS and Flying Fish swim teams and a dedicated student, Martin brings discipline to the pool and the classroom.

“I just like the discipline of [swim],” he says, “And it’s fun, in a way, that, if you go to every single practice, and you work hard, and you get eight hours of sleep, and you eat right, you will get faster at the end of the season. It really shows that if you put work in you will get something out of it.”

This last year, the co-captain dropped 0.24 seconds from his 100-yard freestyle time and 1.30 seconds from his 200-yard freestyle to take first place in both events at this year’s CSL Conference Meet. He started the 200-yard freestyle relay, anchored the 400 yard free relay and led both to second place as an instrumental part of the team.

From the very beginning, Martin seemed destined to swim. His mother, Katrina, swam for Northwestern University, and he took on the sport at a young age.

“Honestly, I have been swimming so long, I don’t remember my first real experience,” he writes in an email. “I just remember whenever I went to the beach with friends or family, I would play in the water for hours, long after everybody had gotten bored.”

His passion for the sport hasn’t faded, and on a team with bonds as strong as ETHS’, Martin has a lot to miss from his high school career. However, he also has much to look forward to. Brown offers Ivy League academics and Division l athletics—a formidable match.

“I think my excitement and fear are both based around my schedule,” writes Martin. “Swimming is a demanding sport, and Brown is a demanding school. I enjoy having a busy and structured schedule to keep me focused, and while I have had some fears about the workload, overall I think I will have a lot of resources to help me succeed, same as at ETHS.”