Photo courtesy of Johnny O’Brien

Johnny O’Brien

May 11, 2023

Lakeland University commit Johnny O’Brien always wanted to play in college, although not necessarily for football. The defensive back started his ETHS athletic career in basketball, but when nets were cut down, and courts were caution taped off at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, he wanted to keep playing a sport and picked up football.

“I remember summer camp. I was terrible,” said O’Brien. “That was my first time playing football. I had to buy cleats, I had to buy other equipment like gloves. It was my first time ever playing, so that was kind of expected.”

While O’Brien kept playing basketball with friends, he turned much of his attention to getting better at football. As a junior, he didn’t play much on the varsity team, so O’Brien put his head down and got to work. 

Football made me happy. It was my peace. Honestly, it’s a blessing and a dream come true.”

— Football commit Johnny O'Brien

“I had a great summer camp and improved a ton,” O’Brien said. “You can make a lot of progress in three years, and I did. That’s because, with football, everybody can play. Everybody has the same unique opportunity. It’s up to you whether you are playing or not.”

Unfortunately, the effort O’Brien put in didn’t pay off in his senior year, as he broke his collarbone before playing a single snap. Despite the setback, he had shown enough ability to have the chance to play in college. O’Brien initially planned to play in junior college but shifted his focus after some counselors and coaches mentioned he could play in Division II or III. 

“Lakeland was my first visit, first offer, everything. So I was really planning on going there. Their visit was the best to me. I was planning on going there because they had a lot of good things for me personally, and they felt like the best school for me,” said O’Brien.

O’Brien committed to Lakeland on March 7 and looks forward to the differences between college and high school, but he is very grateful for the friends and family who helped him along the way.

“Follow your dream,” said O’Brien. “Do whatever makes you happy. Football made me happy. It made me happy playing the game, it put me in a better mood, it was my peace. Being on that field gives me some type of peace. Honestly, it’s a blessing and a dream come true.”