Photo courtesy of Flo Feldman

Flo Feldman

May 11, 2023

Going into the football recruiting process, defensive lineman Flo Feldman knew he wanted a school that was equally as academic as it was athletic, and Denison University turned out to be just the place for him.

“The culture at Denison was just a lot better than the other schools that I visited, and the balance between the academics and the athletics there seemed really good,” he said. “Ultimately, what led to my decision was I didn’t want to go to a huge school, because I feel like it’s a better environment for me at a smaller school to get my work done and also get what I needed to [get] done for football as well.”

Despite Denison’s small population at just over 2,000 undergrads, the school spirit is expansive. According to Feldman, 47 percent of Denison students play sports, which was also a draw.

“That made it seem like they take [sports] seriously, and they know what they’re doing.”

Feldman’s career started when he was in second grade playing flag football for the Skokie Suburban League. In fourth grade, Feldman moved to tackle football, and he never turned back.

“I just enjoyed everything about the sport [and] everything that it teaches you,” he said.

I just enjoyed everything about the sport [and] everything that it teaches you.”

— Denison University commit Flo Feldman

Through his time playing football, Feldman has not only developed a love for the sport, but also the people he plays with.

“[I’ve met] so many new people within football, and [I’ve] built relationships. I still hangout with a lot of the kids that I’ve [been] playing flag football with . . . [since] second grade,” he said. “We just get along, and I feel like it wouldn’t be the same if I didn’t play football, [my] relationships with these people. We always have so many memories and things to talk about.”

Although Feldman is sure to miss many aspects of high school, he also has tons to look forward to, and he’s ready to get started. 

“It’s gonna be a lot of fun going right into college and playing the sport right away because it’s a fall sport,” Feldman said. “[I’m looking forward to] meeting new players that I’ve never met before and building bonds that will last a long time . . . [Also] experiencing college life and having as much fun as possible while still getting work done, and playing football and winning games as well.”