Photo courtesy of Emma Thomas

Winner: The Supreme Burrito #1

January 27, 2023

Ten years ago, The Supreme Burrito #1 opened its doors to the public. Since then, it has become an ETHS swim team tradition to stop by the restaurant for a late dinner after a home meet. With not a single home competition on the schedule for the first month and a half this season, it seemed the tradition had to wait. But after a hard-fought victory against Highland Park, I craved one thing and one thing only: a King Ground Beef Burrito from Supreme. Nothing was going to stop me from having one.

Following an anticipatory bus ride down I-94 back to our stomping ground, a group consisting of me and three of my teammates prepared ourselves for a mile-long walk down Dodge Avenue in freezing winter weather. We lacked the proper attire for this journey, having no coats nor closed-toed shoes. The valley of the shadow of death may have lied between me and my King Ground Beef Burrito, but I was determined. Broken, starving and disheartened, the four of us trudged through the barren landscape. We were down to our final leg by the time the restaurant entered our line of sight. Had it been any further, I’m not sure we would have made it there alive.

Stepping inside the restaurant was a reprieve from our suffering—the very first breath of fresh air after a close encounter with drowning. The scent of freshly cooked tacos, burritos, tortas and tostadas enveloped the dining room with a homelike familiarity. It is that very familiarity that, in my opinion, makes Supreme Burrito what it is. You can always count on Supreme Burrito to satiate your hunger in exactly the way you want it to, and yet, it never becomes repetitive. Truly, the dictionary definition of comfort food. And the best part, it’s ready before you can even sit down.
As my eyes graced my meal, I recalled back to a time a few months before, when I had Supreme with a member of the swim team who has since graduated. They used to brag that they were able to finish a King Burrito in seven minutes, flat. But after having gone through what I had that day, I bet I could do it in five. So, without any further ado, I got down to business. As I took my first bite, A concoction of flavors threw a party for my palate. And trust me, sweet, sour, salty, bitter, spicy and even umami—they were all invited. Soft and gooey inside and out, the burrito made me feel like royalty—maybe that’s why it’s called the King Ground Beef Burrito.

Within mere seconds (a new personal best, might I add) my burrito was gone. While the realization it was finished was undoubtedly a moment of anguish, I needn’t fret, for Supreme Burrito’s presence in my future is an absolute certainty. To put it bluntly, it’s the arms I want to come back to after my toughest days. Supreme Burrito, you have given me the best ten years of my life, and for that, I am forever grateful.