Photo courtesy of Sadie Dowhan

Runner-Up: Potbelly Sandwich Shop

January 27, 2023

Potbelly, founded in 1977, is conceivably the best lunch spot in Evanston due to its delicious food and intriguing Chicago history. 

Potbelly started as an antique store in Lincoln Park when, owner, Peter Hastings had the wondrous idea of serving sandwiches to his customers. Six years later, the shop reopened as Potbelly, a sandwich shop, named for the antique shops’ potbelly stove that was used to create toasted sandwiches. After the shop was bought by a loyal customer in 1996, it quickly expanded all across Illinois and, before long, across the country. 

Potbelly’s menu ranges from soups and salads to sandwiches that are superior. Some of the restaurant’s most-ordered items include the Mediterranean, Grilled Chicken Club, Pizza Melt, Turkey, and the make-your-own option. 

“Potbelly is my favorite place to go for lunch,” says sophomore Jenet Luning. “I like to get the chicken salad sandwich. The milkshakes are also very good.”

Potbelly’s milkshakes are a hit, with basic flavors such as vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, and even oreo—they never disappoint. There’s also the iconic accent, the cookie on the straw which excites everyone.

The Potbelly in Evanston stands at 630 Davis St near Evanston’s Fountain Square. Being near a very popular part of Evanston is a huge benefit, especially since it’s near ETHS. The quick & easy go up and order then pick up your food is perfect for students during a 45-minute lunch period.

In most Potbellies, there’s a ton of wood giving the restaurant an old-timey vibe. The atmosphere is immaculate once you step through those doors. The warm and cozy environment hits you with its optimity along with the exceptional choices of food to choose from. 

“I like Potbelly because it is always reliable,” explains Luning. “You always know what you’re going to get, and it’s fast and never disappointing.”

Out of all the restaurants nearby, Potbelly provides the best service, and the best selection of tasty foods to everyone, especially students out on their lunch breaks.