Photo courtesy of Sadie Dowhan

Winner: Chipotle Mexican Grill

January 27, 2023

Founded in 1993 in Denver, Colorado, Chipotle is arguably the most well-known and well-loved Mexican/American fast food chain in the country. Chipotle was founded by Steve Ells with the goal of serving quality food made with quality ingredients very quickly. “Steve founded Chipotle more than 23 years ago with a powerful vision to use great ingredients prepared skillfully by hand, but served very fast,” said the lead director on Chipotle’s board. The chain has since grown to be one of the largest in the U.S., with over 2,200 stores across five countries. 

Although the menu is not extremely diverse, Chipotle is successful because of the many diverse variations on their relatively few menu items, the most popular being their burritos, burrito bowls and tacos. 

Ordering at Chipotle is not as simple a process as it is at other restaurants. You first tell the employee making your food what kind of meal you want, (i.e. burrito, taco, quesadilla) then what protein you want, then you proceed to tell a different employee who completes your order with whatever other toppings you might want (things like cheese, lettuce, guacamole, or salsa). After toppings, a third employee will help you check out. This is the person you ask for chips or a drink. Although this might seem intensive compared to other fast food restaurants in the same market, the process seems to noticeably decrease the time it takes to get your food, as per the goal of creating a higher quality, faster fast food experience.

The Chipotle location in Evanston sits at 711 Church St, near the main branch of the Evanston Public Library. This location in central Evanston is a valuable tool since one of Chipotle’s largest markets is for people who just want a quick lunch or dinner. The speed and customization-based model that Chipotle does business through is ideal for ETHS students looking for a quick lunch during the school day. 

The inside of the Evanston Chipotle is quite small, with about 10 or so tables, a soft drink machine, an area with stools facing out of the window and the counter where your food gets made. But to quote ETHS freshman Spencer Barbaro, “the lights, tables and even walls are made of exposed metal which is kinda weird.” 

Luckily, the unusual styling of the interior is more than made up for by the scrumptious fast food. In regards to his burrito, freshman Francis Lang says, “mine was wrapped questionably, but the steak was great, it tasted delicious.”

Chipotle is not very old in the scheme of major food chains, but they’ve been around long enough to have found a market, and perfected a business model. The Evanston location is a prime example of what Chipotle as a chain is. Fast, quality food and the perfect place to go during your lunch break.