Sadie Dowhan

Third Place: 10Q Chicken

January 27, 2023

Located in the heart of Downtown Evanston, near Fountain Square, 10Q Chicken is beloved for its unique and delicious chicken-based menu options.  Right when I walk in, I’m impressed by the casual, welcoming atmosphere and the way that the restaurant is filled with lively locals—Evanstonians and Northwestern students alike. 

Because I’ve never been to 10Q before, I decided to order the signature 10q sandwich, their most well-known menu item. The sandwich is composed of a crunchy panko fried chicken breast on a soft, buttery brioche bun. What really brings this sandwich together is the thin slice of radish on the bun, which, along with the spicy togarashi mayo compliments the sweetness of the bun nicely. 

Following the theme of ordering menu items that I’ve never tried before, I order a side of buffalo nacho fries, not sure what to expect. What I receive is a plate of french fries covered in nacho cheese topped with buffalo sauce drizzle and jalapenos. Whether you’re a nacho enthusiast or a fries enthusiast, this side offers the best of both worlds. 

If you’re feeling less adventurous and are looking for more classic menu items, 10Q also offers staples like tenders, jumbo wings and Korean BBQ, all at modest and affordable prices. 

The service at 10Q is as excellent as the food. My meal comes out so quickly that I feel the need to check that I’m not accidentally taking someone else’s food. It’s also worth mentioning that while the portions are generous, they’re perfectly sized, and I don’t leave feeling like I ate too much or too little. 

I spent this whole week summoning all of my self-control so that I don’t run back to 10Q Chicken to order that sandwich again. With its delicious food, casual atmosphere and efficient service, 10Q Chicken stands out as one of Evanston’s best.