Sophia Weglarz

Sophia Weglarz, Executive Editor

Hi all! My name is Sophia Weglarz, and I am the Executive Editor of the News and In-Depth sections. Inside The Evanstonian, I love collaborating with my wonderful section teams to create engaging coverage and visually-appealing layout. Outside of The Evanstonian, I enjoy interning at several local history organizations, reading anything I can get my hands on, and trying new things—like flying trapeze!

By Sophia Weglarz

Social Consciousness

HISTORY In 2014, ETHS introduced its first Black Student Summit. This event, which at the time was broken down into a Black Male and Female Summit, marked the beginning of the Social Consciousness...

Brandon Brown, President of School Yard Rap, speaks to students at Black Summit on Feb. 21.

Black Student Summit, Feb. 2020

Callie Grober and Sophia Weglarz February 28, 2020

“To me, this year was better planned out. There were more activities this year that I enjoyed than last year. The food was also better than last year. I had a better time and I felt like it was more...

Behind the scenes of ETHS’ Black History Month celebration

Sophia Weglarz, Executive Editor February 28, 2020

Beyond the vibrantly-colored doors with photos and illustrations of Black history heroes and the countless students and staff donning bright and brilliant hues to rep their culture, the 29-day celebration...

Peeling away the layers behind Pathways to Honors

In 2010, ETHS gave its freshman curriculum a massive facelift. This complete detracking of the Freshman Humanities and eventually later courses sought to remove historic impediments to provide greater...

The changing face of Evanston

A study published this past March claims Evanston hasn’t experienced gentrification, though some residents think otherwise. Four former and current Evanston residents and active community members...

How youth activism is breaking the mold

Sophia Weglarz and Aldric Martinez-Olson August 26, 2019

Between organizing school-wide walkouts and facilitating change-driven conversations, Evanston’s youth activists have found time to break the mold of activism as we know it.  Youth involvement in...

Sophia Weglarz

National wave of ICE raids sparks community response

On July 15 2019, a nationwide series of raids to arrest and deport immigrants began after President Trump tweeted his threat to remove “millions of illegal aliens who have illicitly found their way into...

How Evanston shelved joint literacy

How Evanston shelved joint literacy

Isaac Slevin and Sophia Weglarz May 23, 2019

The reading crisis “I don’t know them. I haven’t met them, and I don’t know what they do.” Nancy Odisho described that in her time as an ETHS reading teacher, she has never directly collaborated...

A lesson before falling through the cracks

Sophia Weglarz, Asst. Opinion Editor March 22, 2019

The bookshelf tipped at your feet, but as the spine of Corduroy shattered to fragments, as the pages of Knuffle Bunny fell to shreds and as the wails of Goodnight Moon rotted to nothing, your teacher saw...

Small team, a double-edged sword

Everneesa Beech and Sophia Weglarz February 18, 2019

Due to the small size of their team, the ETHS fencing team puts in the time and effort of a larger team, which has subsequently helped them build community and communication. “The team is able to...

The consuming gap of achievement only grows

Sophia Weglarz, Assistant Opinion Editor February 15, 2019

Two eager five-year-olds walk through the doors of their elementary school in tandem, not one inch in front of the other as they take each stride forward. However, even as they reach their Kindergarten...

The Oscars, a preview

The Oscars, a preview

Jonah Charlton, Sophia Weglarz and Evan Finder February 15, 2019

Best Picture By Jonah Charlton What should win: A Star is Born Yes, it’s a remake. Sure, it’s predictable. It’s definitely quintessential Hollywood. But Bradley Cooper’s rendition of this...

How do I break the wall with my bare hands?

Sophia Weglarz, Asst. Opinions Editor December 26, 2018

A five-part, comprehensive look into academic reparations at ETHS It shines on the screen. As the discussion of desegregation surfaces within the curriculum once again, the all-too-familiar image...

The Hate U Give provides honest look into police brutality and social activism

Sophia Weglarz, Assistant Opinion Editor November 19, 2018

In what can only be described as perhaps the most compelling two hours of honest, topical conversation surrounding police brutality and social activism in a coming-of-age film, The Hate U Give has garnered...

8 Kits commit to Division 1 athletics at Fall National Signing Day

On Wednesday Nov. 14, eight ETHS seniors committed to Division 1 athletic programs. Seniors Annika Destefano, Rosemary Gibbons, Lucy Hogan, Lance Jones, Keara Kerr, Trevor Nelson, Olivia O'Donnell and...

The good, the bad, and the ugly: where does America lie?

Sophia Weglarz, Assistant Opinion Editor November 12, 2018

As 2018 ends as the year of human rights violations and hate crimes, it would seem that the land of milk and honey has soured. However, had it ever been so sweet in the first place? The answer may not...

Gunman kills 12 in California bar

Rachel Krumholz, Sophia Weglarz and Mac Stone November 9, 2018

On Wednesday night, at around 11:20 p.m. PT, 28-year-old gunman Ian David Long walked into Borderline Bar in Thousand Oaks, CA, killing 12 people and injuring over a dozen before killing himself. Most...

White feminism perpetuates white supremacy

Sophia Weglarz, Executive Editor September 28, 2018

Past the crowds of pink pussy hats and protest signs with bedazzled uteruses on them, there’s something malevolent hanging in the air. If you look closely, it’s there. It’s everywhere. It’s white...

Standing NOvation: Culture of confidence hinders change for LGBTQIA+ community

Sophia Weglarz, Assistant Opinion Editor August 28, 2018

In his monthly Superintendent’s Spotlight series for June 2018, Dr. Witherspoon highlighted ETHS achievements in equity for the year. ETHS is a well-oiled machine that runs on “collaboration, respect...

Haven Middle School is one of the main feeder schools for ETHS.

In-Depth: From middle school to high school

The Lock-Out of Low Income Although the many historic attempts to integrate Evanston by means of busing were made with good intentions, the fight for integration within Evanston schools was not a complete...

Opioid epidemic plagues American public health

Sophia Weglarz, In-Depth Editor November 21, 2017

While the term ‘opioid epidemic’ has become rampant in mainstream media, its meaning has a deeper, more poignant connection to ETHS. “The opioid use has always been a problem in our inner...

Oil and water

Rachel Krumholz and Sophia Weglarz October 16, 2017

ETHS is known for priding itself off its diversity, yet there is one aspect that is constantly being overlooked; social segregation among students is rarely talked about. “Socially speaking, people...

$0
$2000