Tamara Guy

Tamara Guy, Staff Writer

My name is Tamara Guy. I am currently a junior in high school this year. This is my second year writing for The Evanstonian, and  I am an opinion writer for the second year. I love writing about civil rights issues and debating in-class. Outside of The Evanstonian, I am involved in DECA, a marketing and entrepreneurship program at ETHS. Also, I love being outdoors and spending time with family and friends. I am excited to express my opinions and enhance my writing this year while I am a part of The Evanstonian staff.

By Tamara Guy

Senior Column | Parents: Reflect on your own practices before judging others

Tamara Guy, Staff Writer May 21, 2021

After four years at ETHS, I am sure all of us are very aware of the ETHS Parents and Guardians Facebook page, where our parents choose to argue over the many flaws in the community without even asking...

White writers, Black issues

White writers, Black issues

Tamara Guy, Staff Writer February 22, 2021

The Evanstonian is, and always has been, made up of a predominantly white staff. The majority of the Black stories that are told are missing the first-hand experiences and genuine connection to the coverage....

Opinion | The complexities of intergenerational trauma

Tamara Guy, Staff Writer January 25, 2021

Intergenerational trauma has disproportionately impacted Black people, Indigenous people and people of color (BIPOC), because the history of America is on the basis of Black and Indigenous trauma. This...

Art by Annie Lee

This (white appropriation) Is America

Tamara Guy, Staff Writer October 20, 2020

Our society has continuously stolen culture from marginalized groups and appropriated them. As a whole, members of society have been publicized and profited from the appropriation of oppressed cultures...

Art by Ellie Lind

How Black People are being policed in their workplaces and institutions

Tamara Guy, Staff Writer August 23, 2020

Black people are a target of hate in their workplaces and institutions, as they can have their hair policed by their employers and administrators and have no legal protection when it happens. Once the...

Quarantine Critiques: Music Albums

Heartbreak Weather, Guest Writer Constance Harwood The album Heartbreak Weather by Nial Horan has a great range of slower ballad-like songs as well as more upbeat songs to jam out and sing along...

Illustrated by Ellie Lind

28 days is not enough: Black history should be taught year round

Tamara Guy, Staff Writer February 28, 2020

In January of 2019, Illinois passed a law that required all public colleges, high schools and elementary schools, to teach Black history. According to the Illinois House Resolutions, “...every public...

Social media feminism must be inclusive

Social media feminism must be inclusive

Tamara Guy, Staff Writer December 13, 2019

The social media activism phase has sprung upon us within the last few years. Social media allows us to share the current news of what is happening in people’s lives, raise awareness on issues and influence...

Unpacking the complexities of racial identity

Tamara Guy, Staff Writer November 8, 2019

It is important for me to share my experiences with you because I am not the only student who feels this way. Whether it is gender identity, sexuality or race identification, many students are struggling...

Below minimum wage: why Evanston pays teens less than adults

Tamara Guy, Staff Writer September 27, 2019

As the school year has begun, many of us have wrapped up our summer jobs and received our last paychecks.  Each summer, many youth in Evanston find their jobs through the Annual Mayor's Youth Summer...

Evanston’s desegregation fail

Evanston’s desegregation fail

Tamara Guy, Staff Writer March 22, 2019

Growing up in a school with very few people of color was normal for me. Evanston’s fifth ward is split up amongst five different schools, with its children bused to school every morning. The schools...

White feminism strikes again

White feminism strikes again

Tamara Guy, Staff Writer November 10, 2018

Growing up in Evanston, it is likely that you have found yourself surrounded by liberals. Because we grow up in a very liberal community, it is likely that you have found yourself unintentionally practicing...

$0
$2000