Sydney Ter Molen

Sydney Ter Molen, Staff Writer

I’m Sydney TerMolen, and this is my second year writing for The Evanstonian. I like to write about big issues and how they affect smaller things. Apart from the paper, I play golf for ETHS, and am on the mock trial team here. I’m glad to be in a space where there are many people to learn from. Journalism has played a big part in my life and will definitely prove me useful in life.

By Sydney Ter Molen
Remembering ETHS: Debra Mohica

Remembering ETHS: Debra Mohica

Sydney Ter Molen, Staff Writer May 29, 2020

Student Supports Program Assistant Debra Mohica retired this year after working at ETHS for 32 years. Mohica took on a variety of different roles at ETHS. She worked for the Student Services Department,...

Quarantine Critiques: TV Shows

“High Fidelity,” Assistant In-Depth Editor, Lauren Dain This Hulu Original series, which released Feb. 14, is the fourth iteration of the High Fidelity story. The book, which was released in...

All female cast stars in The Wolves

Sydney Ter Molen and Sophie Yang January 31, 2020

ETHS theater’s February production is a show unlike any done before; The Wolves features nine exclusively female actors, collaborates with the athletic department and tackles complex issues. The contemporary...

Peeling away the layers behind Pathways to Honors

In 2010, ETHS gave its freshman curriculum a massive facelift. This complete detracking of the Freshman Humanities and eventually later courses sought to remove historic impediments to provide greater...

The changing face of Evanston

A study published this past March claims Evanston hasn’t experienced gentrification, though some residents think otherwise. Four former and current Evanston residents and active community members...

How lack of school spirit affects students

Lauren Dain, Jessica Sehgal and Sydney Ter Molen September 27, 2019

ETHS has a spirit problem; student attendance and involvement in school-sponsored events has been decreasing. This has caused the administration to reevaluate what spirit events are worth planning and...

Accessibility of activism efforts

Caroline Jacobs and Sydney Ter Molen August 26, 2019

As students undertake various forms of activism, there are barriers that exclude certain groups of people from joining these movements. Trends concerning race, socioeconomic status, and physical capability...

Cradle to Career works against inequitable policies

Lauren Dain and Sydney Ter Molen April 26, 2019

In hopes of creating future success for all Evanston youth, the Evanston Cradle to Career Initiative is attempting to dismantle certain educational policies that put students of color and students from...

Mutually negative perceptions fuel historic rivalry

Caroline Jacobs and Sydney Ter Molen March 22, 2019

It’s likely that on your way into Beardsley Gym or Lazier Field you’ll hear sentiments of “NTK” and “F-New Trier” chants. While some perceive this long-standing rivalry as mere fun, others...

Students recount experiences with mental health services

Trigger Warning: The following story contains information regarding mental health issues that may trigger some readers. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255. Disclaimer: In this...

At what cost: what it takes to play club sports

Sydney Ter Molen and Lauren Dain September 28, 2018

In the past decade, club sports have grown dramatically and have become a dominant part of families’ lives. A 2016 Utah State study showed that the youth sports industry is worth $15.3 billion. Now parents...

Wards of Evanston

Wards of Evanston

The city of Evanston is divided into nine wards, with an alderman elected into each. Aldermen and residents of a certain ward, in theory, work together to better their community with implementations of...

$0
$2000