Michael Colton

Michael Colton, Executive Editor

My name is Michael Colton. I’m a senior and Executive Editor for the Evanstonian. Prior to this year, I’ve been an Entertainment Editor (2015-2016) and Columnist (2016-2017). Outside of the Evanstonian, I am the captain of the Mock Trial Team, am involved in Student Council, and have been in a number of comedy-related shows (e.g. YAMO, Improv). Moving forward, I hope to study Political Science and Sociology to pursue a future career in law; however, the skills I’ve picked up as a staff member are sure to help my writing, critical thinking, and communication along the way.

By Michael Colton
Witt, Barbato, Lowe, Colton and Donati (from left) in 2017.

Lowe’s Last Class

In the fall of 2017, Lowe and The Evanstonian staff published six issues together prior to Lowe’s early retirement in December of that year. Though Lowe was often absent due to recurring health issues, the staff was able to produce more issues than in a typical year as Lowe continued to push his students to create the best product possible, just like he had for the 30 years prior.
Haven Middle School is one of the main feeder schools for ETHS.

In-Depth: From middle school to high school

The Lock-Out of Low Income Although the many historic attempts to integrate Evanston by means of busing were made with good intentions, the fight for integration within Evanston schools was not a complete...

The man behind the paper: Rodney Lowe retires after 31 years

Michael Colton and Harrison Witt December 19, 2017

He sat in his favorite chair against a blank wall once filled with posters, certificates of excellence and past Evanstonian covers, singing along to his favorite song “Loveland” by Charles Wright and...

Appreciate the fine arts

Appreciate the fine arts

Michael Colton, Entertainment Columnist May 28, 2017

It is no secret that the Fine Arts Department at ETHS offers many opportunities for all students in music, theatre, and visual arts. What is not clear, however, is just how much of an impact this department...

Federal budget cuts jeopardize education, growth for youth

Michael Colton, Entertainment Columnist April 21, 2017

Goodnight YAMO? Though the new federal budget proposal is not directly harmful to Evanston in particular, the federal government’s new policy on funding for the arts harms public schools all over...

Pushing child actors hurts them in the long run

Michael Colton, Entertainment Columnist March 17, 2017

Though the role of child actors in plays and film is necessary and sometimes amusing, the toll that rigorous coaching, schooling and rehearsing takes on the lives of these actors makes participation in...

Started from the bottom?

Michael Colton, Entertainment Columnist February 24, 2017

We all want to see our pop-culture idols as people who came up just as we did, but doing so is misguided and foolish. Rarely, if ever, are our favorite celebrities truly people who fully earned their success....

Success should be based on talent, not privilege

Michael Colton, Entertainment Columnist February 7, 2017

Started from the bottom? Hollywood loves an underdog story. So does the public. But what we consumers fail to realize is, that, as much as we may want it to be the case, very few of our pop culture...

Hollywood love stories promote sexism

Michael Colton, Entertainment Columnist December 16, 2016

Dumb love. Romance and film have gone together for decades. From Gone With the Wind to The Notebook, it seems as if every major film of the last century has had some sort of romantic subplot. This works...

Celebrities must follow moral expectations

Michael Colton, Entertainment Columnist November 22, 2016

For a country that claims to stand up in the face of abuse, it makes sense that celebrities would be held to the same standard of conduct. However, the popularity of celebrities accused of violence and...

The problem with race in TV

The problem with race in TV

Michael Colton, Entertainment Columnist October 28, 2016

It’s time for a change. Despite 116.4 million homes owning TVs in the United States, and Americans watching five hours of TV per day, the true diversity of our nation is still not reflected on screen. How...

Stop dismissing musical messages in hip hop

Michael Colton, Entertainment Columnist October 5, 2016

Listen to the music. It’s true that art is for enjoyment, for the artist and the consumer, however this is only true to a certain extent. When a musician uses their music as a platform for meaningful...

Celebrities must use their power for real change

Michael Colton, Entertainment Columnist September 16, 2016

Stop supporting pretend activism. Celebrity “activism” for social and political justice has become a common occurrence, I’m sure you remember the wave of Twitter support around the Kony 2012 campaign,...

Student rappers require peer support

Michael Colton, Entertainment Columnist August 22, 2016

Nobody wants your mixtape.         The rise of Soundcloud as a music-sharing network has pushed many students to pursue careers in music, notably in the rap genre. This is in no way negative;...

Highlight reel: 2016’s last curtain call

Viveka Herzum and Michael Colton May 13, 2016

As the class of 2016 walks the halls of ETHS for the last time, we look back on their achievements, particularly those made on the stage. From dancing bananas to flying monkeys, the last four years have...

Class of 2016 dominated the stage

Class of 2016 dominated the stage

Michael Colton, Entertainment Writer May 13, 2016

From Evanston to Broadway. As the class of 2016 walks the halls of ETHS for the last time, we look back on their achievements, particularly those made on the stage. From dancing bananas to carnivorous...

Short Play Festival to bring student creativity to the stage

Michael Colton, Entertainment Writer April 25, 2016

The Short Play Festival is quickly becoming a well established tradition, however this year’s collection of plays brings original ideas to the stage in new ways, unlike any festival of the past. “This...

10th annual Etown Idol takes the stage

10th annual Etown Idol takes the stage

Michael Colton, Entertainment Writer March 18, 2016

American Idol may be coming to an end, but after 10 years, Evanston’s own Etown Idol is still going strong. Tonight at 6 p.m. in the auditorium, teacher groups, student duets, solo rappers and many more...

Fab Five battle for the 2016 Album of the Year

Michael Colton, Entertainment Editor February 5, 2016

Five in a million. The 2016 Grammy Awards feature an impressive collection of talent competing for the Album of the Year award. With so many different sounds up for the award presented on Feb. 15, here...

School of Rock builds valuable life skills among young musicians

Michael Colton, Entertainment Writer December 18, 2015

Practice makes professional. Leading up to several shows in January, School of Rock Evanston is teaching musical skills, confidence and teamwork to any young musician interested in performance art....

To Kill a Mockingbird brings unique adaptation

Michael Colton, Entertainment Editor November 20, 2015

The classic novel has been taught in schools for decades, you may have even read it in your sophomore english class, or seen the film starring Gregory Peck. Now, you can experience To Kill a...

Eli Listig and Marlylin Flores brainstorm ideas for an upcoming film project.

Roll the Tape: Short film projects encourage artistic appreciation among students

Michael Colton, Entertainment Writer October 30, 2015

Everybody loves movies, but few can claim to have created one. The ETHS Film Club recently began the creation process of several short films, all from the minds of students. “These projects are...

A Cappella popularity surges

A Cappella popularity surges

Michael Colton, Entertainment Editor October 5, 2015

A Cappella attracts talented singers of all ages as a form of practice and competition and now, casual groups at ETHS allow anyone to join in. “Here at ETHS, we have something for students at any...

New art gallery displays student creativity

Michael Colton, Entertainment Editor September 18, 2015

Student art can be seen in many places around ETHS, as well as on the internet. So, you may wonder why you should make time to visit the area in front of the auditorium for the ETHS art gallery. “It...

$0
$2000