Chris Werner

Chris Werner, Sports Editor

My name is Chris Werner, and I am a senior at ETHS. I have written for The Evanstonian for three years and hold the position of Sports Editor this year. I also was a color commentator for the Evanston boys and girls basketball teams this past season. Apart from writing on The Evanstonian, I have created my own sports blog called Werner's Words. I plan to study journalism in college. I  have also been a member of the ETHS golf team for four seasons.

By Chris Werner
From left: Werner, Lowe and Cameron Mulvihill, 2018-19 Entertainment Reviewer, at a 2019 IHSA event.

Mr. Lowe,

Chris Werner, 2018-19 Sports Editor September 10, 2020
Your teaching style was, how shall I say this, unique. Whether it be the competitive current events quizzes that were supposed to happen weekly, but really occurred only about once a month or the cringy transitions on your powerpoints, you had your own system. 
Kerr sprints up the pitch.

Kerr chooses Miami of Ohio

Chris Werner, Sports Editor May 23, 2019

While the prospect of college commitment may seem daunting to most young athletes, senior Keara Kerr committed to the Miami of Ohio soccer program before even finishing her freshman year. “The commitment...

Senior Lance Jones blows by the Maine South defender on his way to the hoop.

Jones chooses the Salukis

Lance Jones, who has helped lead ETHS to back-to-back final fours, will play his college basketball in Carbondale for the SIU Salukis. By choosing SIU, Jones turned down offers from other schools in...

Tarpey preparing for a play.

Tarpey chooses Miami of Ohio

After just one year as the Wildkits’ signal caller, Ben Tarpey will be a preferred walk-on for the Miami of Ohio Redhawks. Tarpey’s performance during his senior year sparkled as he broke the ETHS...

Axelrood lines up before the snap.

Axelrood heads to Princeton

Michael Axelrood played on both sides of the ball since his sophomore season at Evanston and rose to stardom despite battling injuries throughout his career. Axelrood chose Princeton over an array of...

Spring sport season rundown

Badminton By Chris Werner Sports Editor 2019 was one of the most successful seasons in recent memory for the ETHS badminton team. Evanston beat New Trier in a dual match for the first time...

Winter sport season rundown

Boys Basketball By Chris Werner Sports Editor After a third place finish in 2018, the boys basketball team played in the final game of the IHSA basketball season in 2019. “Following [last...

Freshman Lucia Mena skates at the national championship.

Back to back: Evanston figure skating team captures second consecutive national championship

Eli Cohen, Sophia McCandlish and Chris Werner April 26, 2019

On March 30 in Brighton, Michigan, the Evanston figure skating team won its second straight national championship. “This has been the most exciting year for our team,” coach Jana Reynolds said....

Gymnastics head to sectionals on Wednesday

Chris Werner, Sports Editor April 26, 2019

In Frank Erwin’s four years as Evanston’s head gymnastics coach, only Jesse Bernstien in 2017, has gotten past the IHSA sectional round as an at-large qualifier. But freshman sensation Aryeh Lesch,...

Senior co-captain Max Johnson works on his swing.

Offseason effort sparks excitement for boys tennis

Chris Werner, Sports Editor March 22, 2019

After a 2-5 record against CSL opponents last year and a third place finish at the CSL South tournament, the team has trained hard in the offseason and coach Marcus Plonus is excited about what could be...

Senior Lance Jones calls a play at the State championship.

Kits end heroic season in championship defeat

Eli Cohen and Chris Werner March 22, 2019

With under 20 seconds to go in the 4A State championship game down 12 points, coach Mike Ellis subbed Ryan Bost, Jaheim Holden and Lance Jones out of the contest. With their exit went the most successful...

From the left, senior Ryan Bost, senior Jaheim Holden and sophomore Blake Peters discuss strategy during the fourth quarter.

Jones, Peters lead Kits to championship game

Eli Cohen and Chris Werner March 16, 2019

The Kits are shooting to make ETHS history tonight, facing off with Belleville West at 7:15 p.m at the Peoria Civic Center for the class 4A State championship after their semifinal game against the Rockford...

ETHS varsity basketball team.

Kits punch ticket to elite eight with 56-42 victory over Loyola

Chris Werner and Eli Cohen March 9, 2019

Two years ago, ETHS stars Ryan Bost, Jaheim Holden and Lance Jones were only sophomores, showing flashes of future stardom while playing in the shadow of current Purdue guard Nojel Eastern. Now, as seniors,...

Girls basketball season ends in Sectional final overtime defeat

Chris Werner, Sports Editor March 2, 2019

Three Wildkits posted double digit performances and Evanston held state No. 1 Maine West to 55 points, their fifth lowest output in a game this season. But it wasn’t enough to topple the Warriors in...

Balanced scoring, defensive adjustments aid Kits in Sectional semifinal victory

Chris Werner, Sports Editor February 20, 2019

The last time Evanston and Loyola met on the Beardsley gym floor, the contest went down to the final seconds and the Ramblers came away with a 48-45 win. That’s not what happened on Monday night in...

Girls cross country running in the field house.

New year, new race

Eli Cohen, Benji Fervoy and Chris Werner February 18, 2019

ETHS’ most decorated girls track athlete in recent memory, Envaeva Michelin, graduated last year and now runs both track and cross country for the University of North Carolina, and the Kits are striving...

Historic boys bowling season comes to an end

Sam Beebe and Chris Werner February 18, 2019

There’s a first time for everything and Saturday Jan. 19 marked the first time the boys bowling team had ever competed at IHSA Sectionals as a team. Although nobody from the Evanston team made the...

Turchin at home game against GBS on Dec. 4,.

Turchin’s big night helps Kits to Regional championship

Chris Werner, Sports Editor February 17, 2019

As Evanston trailed 19-13 at the end of the first quarter Friday night, it looked as though the underdog Hawks might upset the third-seeded Kits in the championship of the IHSA Regional tournament that...

Sophomore Louis Lesmond drives to the hoop.

32 minutes away: with a win tonight, Evanston becomes sole CSL South champion

Jonah Charlton, Eli Cohen and Chris Werner February 15, 2019

Jan. 12, 2018, the last time ETHS battled New Trier in Trevian territory; the score was deadlocked with the end of the fourth quarter just a few seconds left.  Then junior guard Lance Jones chased...

Kit girls fall in final seconds to New Trier

Chris Werner, Sports Editor January 13, 2019

“Free throws killed us tonight,” Johnson said. New Trier junior guard Tinah Hong sank a pair of free throws with 4.7 seconds remaining and sealed a 46-45 victory for the Trevians Friday night in...

Junior Asya Wright bowls a strike.

Experience leads girls bowling to success

Chris Werner, Sports Editor December 27, 2018

After finishing fifth in their regional tournament as a team in both of the past two seasons, one spot away from the fourth place finish necessary to advance to sectionals, the girls bowling team is poised...

Kits hold off Maine South in overtime win

Chris Werner, Sports Editor December 10, 2018

Last season, the two games between Maine South and Evanston were decided by a total of five points. On Friday night in Beardsley gym, the Kits and Hawks battled again, and in a game similar to the tight...

Junior Tyler Mayne dribbles the ball up the court in Wednesdays win against GBS.

Kits hand GBS first loss of season

Chris Werner, Sports Editor December 8, 2018

Nobody quite knew how Evanston would play only two days removed from a miraculous, last-second, 60-59 win over Simeon on Sunday. But the Kits, after a relatively slow start, played what coach Brittany...

Kits win third straight Majkowski Classic at St. Viator

Chris Werner, Sports Editor November 28, 2018

At the start of the 2016-17 season, Evanston switched Thanksgiving  tournaments from the Battle of the Bridge tournament at Lane Tech and Depaul Prep to the Majkowski Classic at St. Viator. The move has...

ETHS opens season with 77-45 win at St. Viator tournament

Chris Werner and Eli Cohen November 23, 2018

The Kits came out of the gate slowly against Conant on Tuesday night, taking a prolonged five and a half minutes to score their first basket, but bounced back from their struggles to show why they’re...

Varsity defense celebrates a sack.

Edwardsville ends Kits’ historic season

Chris Werner, Sports Editor November 4, 2018

In the opening round of the class 8A football playoffs, Evanston started slow and never recovered as the Edwardsville Tigers came away with a 44-27 victory. The loss ended Evanston’s season as they finished...

2-1 victory propels Kits into sectional finals

Peter Barbato and Chris Werner October 26, 2018

With a bid to the sectional championship on the line at Lazier Field on Wednesday night, Wildkit attacker Will Weinman was fouled in the box with less than eight minutes left in the game and junior Quinn...

Connor, Hedges go 2-2 at state

Michael Barthelemy and Chris Werner October 22, 2018

Evanston’s doubles team of seniors Margot Connor and Annie Hedges reached the second day of competition at the state tournament after going 2-1 on Thursday, but were knocked out after losing their first...

Senior running back Cion Miller-Smith sprints through the Glenbrook South defense.

Kits claim playoff berth with 28-7 road victory

Eli Cohen and Chris Werner October 13, 2018

Evanston’s usually stout defensive front gave up a whopping 262 rushing yards Friday night but a ‘bend don’t break’ theme emerged as the Kits only allowed one score all game, resulting in a 28-7...

Darius Johnson working with varsity team in his new role as ambassador after major injury to his femur.

No Pain, No Gain

Jonah Charlton and Chris Werner October 2, 2018

One year ago today, ETHS faced New Trier in a rare Thursday night game at Lazier Field. In a close contest that would come down to the final minutes, linebacker Kameron Kull was chasing down the New Trier...

Defensive back Trenton Bertrand covers Hawks wide receiver.

Kits take first loss of season against Maine South, 21-13

Chris Werner, Sports Editor September 22, 2018

The stage was set for Evanston’s next upset of the season Friday night, but self-inflicted wounds prevented the team’s first victory against Maine South since before the turn of the century. “I’m...

Senior Lance Jones dribbles past defenders at the state semi-final game last spring.

Jones commits to SIU ahead of senior season

Eli Cohen and Chris Werner September 5, 2018
Jones committed to Southern Illinois University (SIU) via Twitter on Friday, Aug 24, lifting the pressure of recruitment off his shoulders.
Captains lead girls golf into exciting season

Patrick Moffitt and Chris Werner August 28, 2018

Senior co-captain Kimmy Jolie has followed in her sister’s footsteps as an Evanston golfer and captain, but now she wants to play her best when it matters the most, like her sister. Liz Jolie, who...

Fallin’ into season: Girls Cross Country

Chris Werner, Sports Editor August 28, 2018

Girls cross country will start the post Enyaeva Michelin era with the Hinsdale Central Iinvite this Saturday, an invite they have excelled at in the past. Evanston finished ninth at the meet last year...

Fallin’ into season: Field Hockey

Jonah Charlton and Chris Werner August 28, 2018

With girls field hockey set to enter its third season as an ETHS sport, the team is striving to continue to improve and build the program.        “We get the best and...

Junior Quinn Ackman shoots on goal at practice.

Fallin’ into season: Boys Soccer

Boys soccer has reached the Super Sectional round of the IHSA tournament in each of the last three seasons but this year may be somewhat of a rebuilding year. “We do expect some good senior leadership...

Junior Quadre Nicholson speeds past Wheaton North defenders on his way to a three touchdown night.

Nicholson pushes Kits past Wheaton North

Chris Werner, Sports Editor August 26, 2018

On Friday night, ETHS inducted their 2018 athletic hall of fame class as well as honored legendary coach Murney Lazier. The team put on a performance that Lazier would’ve enjoyed. After a sluggish...

Kits strive for two wins tomorrow

Chris Werner, Sports Editor April 27, 2018

“Let’s play two.” The Kits will play their second doubleheader of the season as they take on CSL foe Glenbrook North at 10:30 a.m., and Von Steuben at 1 p.m.. “You have to take it one game at...

Junior Jaheim Holden takes a jump shot over a defender.

Just the beginning

Chris Werner, Sports Editor March 23, 2018

The Kits lost a close one to Whitney Young for a chance to reach the state championship, but the team came back and won convincingly over the Larkin Royals to come in third place in Illinois. Matt...

Members of the ETHS track team sprint during practice.

Boys track ups their game with tough competition

Chris Werner, Sports Editor February 22, 2018

Teams typically prefer to compete against the strongest competition just before the postseason, but the track team is beginning the year against some of the state’s premier teams.      On Saturday,...

“The shot” propels Kits over Hawks in emotional game

Chris Werner, Sports Editor February 1, 2018

On Friday night in a packed Beardsley Gym,  Maine South seemed to have secured a two-point win. But ETHS freshman Blake Peters decided a historic, viral ending could be a bit more exciting. In the...

Junior Zach Andalman does the backstroke at practice.

Swimmers to start CSL slate tonight

Chris Werner, Sports Editor December 15, 2017

Even though Evanston and Maine South are competitive in virtually every sport, ETHS has beaten the Hawks by at least 65 points in every meet for the past five years and look to continue that dominance...

Carelette Williams does the pole vault.

Gymnastics faces first test against GBN

Chris Werner, Sports Editor November 21, 2017

David and Goliath. Girls gymnastics will kick off their season with an away dual meet against a strong Glenbrook North team on Nov. 30 at 5:30 p.m. “GBN is a powerhouse,” coach Meghan Koons...

Junior Jalen Christian shoots a layup.

Basketball adjusts to life without Eastern

Chris Werner, Sports Editor November 3, 2017

Changing of the guard. With Nojel Eastern graduated, along with three other starters from last season, Evanston will implement a drastically different style of play than in recent years. “We’re not...

Boys cross country competes for CSL title tomorrow

Chris Werner, Sports Editor October 13, 2017

Most ETHS students were not even alive the last time boys cross country won a Conference championship in 2000, but that could change tomorrow. “This season our team has been completely consistent,”...

Annie Hedges returns a serve

Terminate the Titans

Chris Werner, Sports Editor September 22, 2017

Evanston has never beaten Glenbrook South under head coach Joyce Anderson, but today they have an opportunity to change that. “GBS is usually a really strong team,” Anderson said. “They usually...

Senior Clio Hancock prepares for this season.

Youth to fuel swim team’s success this season

Chris Werner, Sports Editor August 28, 2017

Fresh Blood.      A small but strong group of returning varsity will be backed by a class of fast freshman this upcoming season.         “There is a lot of young blood on the team this year...

Junior Phoebe Liccardo prepares for upcoming meet.

Girls cross country excited to start fast

It’s not often that a high school team gets the chance to have a national champion on its roster, but that will be the case this year for Evanston’s girls cross country team as senior Enyaeva Michelin...

Photo by Jesse Bond

Kits softball to meet at the diamond for a double header season opener

Chris Werner, Sports Editor March 17, 2017

Let’s play two. The Softball team will kick off the year with a double header against the Taft Eagles at home on Saturday at 10 a.m. Taft knocked the Kits out of the IHSA playoffs last year...

Image courtesy of Varsity Views

Boys swimming and diving team hopes for successful meets over the weekend

Chris Werner, Sports Editor December 16, 2016

When you think about the middle of December swimming doesn’t usually come to mind, but the boys swim and dive season is well underway as they face Deerfield in a dual meet tonight at 5:30. “It will...

Three sophomore guards look for bigger roles this season

Chris Werner, Sports Editor November 22, 2016

While it is rare for multiple underclassmen to make a big impact on a varsity sport, three sophomore guards look to do just that when they hit the court this season. Ryan Bost, Lance Jones and Jaheim...

Trey, Byron, and Drew Dawkins have created a legacy at ETHS

Dawkins brothers use family connection on the field

Chris Werner, Sports Editor October 5, 2016

While many teams aim to treat their teammates like family, the Dawkins brothers have taken this idea quite literally. “That's my own flesh and blood, I trust him,” junior quarterback Drew Dawkins...

Senior Molly Conover hits a shot against Maine East

Girls volleyball to battle Maine South

Chris Werner, Sports Editor September 16, 2016

Girls volleyball hosts Maine South in Beardsley Gym on Monday at 6. This year, Maine South’s team will definitely pose some challenges on the court for the Kits. “They have a lot of big hitters,...

Volleyball hosts Maine East

Chris Werner, Sports Editor August 23, 2016

A fresh start. That is what the girls volleyball team will be looking for this season after they were bounced in the first round of the IHSA tournament last year by Glenbrook South. The team will...

$0
$2000