Concerts for students on a budget

Trinity Collins, Entertainment Editor

Seeing mainstream artists live can be unbelievably expensive. However, there are alternatives that allow your money to stay in your pocket.

Circuit des Yeux on Feb. 3 at Constellation

Circuit des Yeux, aka Haley Fohr, is an indie singer. Her music has a strong acoustic guitar and instrumental presence, accompanied by hollow vocals. A Chicago native returning from playing over 300 shows, Fohr will be stinging a solo set combining folk songs with her striking vocals. Tickets are priced at $10. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. tonight.

Cate Le Bon on Feb. 4 at Lincoln Hall

Tickets costing $17 at the door, Cate Le Bon will be performing at 9 p.m. Le Bon is a singer based in Los Angeles. She has released four separate albums, two EPs, and a variety of singles. Le Bon’s voice is often described as haunting and beautiful.

According to Pitchfork, her most recent album, Crab Day, the singer developed a unique, IS IT A SINGLE OR AN ALBUM, MAKE THIS SENTENCE CLEARER almost Dadaist lyrical scheme, to comprehend the struggles of life. The style of music is very similar to Circuit des Yeux, however Le Bon adds a hint of pop to her music.

Noname on Feb. 8-9 at Metro Chicago

Fatimah Warner, better known as Noname is a poet and hip hop artist from Chicago. She has been rapping since 2010 but gained wider recognition following her appearance on Lost from Chance the Rapper’s mixtape Acid Rap. Later, Noname released her debut mixtape, Telefone, which has been widely critically acclaimed. Tickets cost $23 and the concert starts at 7 p.m. both nights.

Hamilton Leithauser on Feb. 15 at Lincoln Hall

Hamilton Leithauser, a former member of the band The Walkmen, is an alternative singer. After releasing his first solo album, Black Hours, Leithauser went on to collaborate with former Vampire Weekend band member, Rostam Batmanglij. Together they released the album, I Had a Dream That You Were Mine, which was critically acclaimed. To hear his latest album, tickets cost $20 and the show starts at 8 p.m.

Tove Lo on Feb 16 at House of Blues

Tove Lo rose to fame with the release of her debut album Queen of the Clouds, which was number 14 on the Billboard 200. Her album contained the hit songs Habits (Stay High) and Talking Body. Lo later went on to collaborate with Nick Jonas to create the song, Close. Her style of music is alternative pop, with a dark undertone to her voice and lyrics.

Opening for Lo is Phoebe Ryan a pop singer who signed with Columbia Records. She has written for a variety of artist such as: Britney Spears, The Chainsmokers and Melanie Martinez. The concert doors open at 6:30 p.m. and tickets cost $35.