Boys Wrestling ready to compete at Russ Erb tournament

Malcolm Townsel, Sports Editor

Although they finished ninth last year in the premier Russ Erb tournament, wrestling heads into this weekend with experience more experience and confidence .

“We have four returning placers from last year’s tournament,” said head coach Salinas. Christopher Rivera placed third, Izzy Fox took second, Rafael Salinas placed sixth and Dylan Kull placed 6th

All of the four returners are using last year’s experience and early success to help them stand on the podium tomorrow night.

Returning junior Izzy Fox is primed for a breakout tournament after finishing second at last year’s tournament.

“I am looking forward to Russ Erb as it is often times the most competition I see until the sectional tournament,” said Fox. “I think I have a real shot at the podium for this and the state tournament this year.”

The teams only undefeated Wrestler, sophomore Danny White finished third at Russ Erb.

“I’m a lot more confident going in this year. I am looking to set the intensity in the matches and help us win,” said White.

“This is one of the best measuring sticks for me individually and as a team as the competition is at the highest level,” said sophomore Rafael Salinas.

This will be the 48th annual tournament, and coach Salinas understands the level of competition and the history behind this tournament.

“There will be many state champions and qualifiers at this tournament, it is one of the most premiere tournaments in the state.” said coach Salinas. “The top teams for the past couple of years have been Wheeling, Batavia, Marian Catholic, and Grant.”

So far the team is really young and is just improving every match and every practice. “Right now we are 14-2 and we are looking forward to winning the conference and staying undefeated in conference play,” said Salinas.

With the team’s depth they are able to use the youth to their advantage. “Right now we have a lot of quality freshman who have helped our team by filling the lightweight spots such as 106,” said Salinas. “This will only help us stay balanced and be able to get as many points as possible.”

“Me and the rest of the rest of the guys are working hard and wrestling all year around. We have been doing everything as individuals and teammates to ensure a successful season,” said Kull

That is the right mindset going throughout the season and into one of the top tournaments in the state. Wish your Wrestling team onto a victory before the holiday break!