Girls volleyball to battle Maine South

Senior Molly Conover hits a shot against Maine East

Chris Werner, Sports Editor

Girls volleyball hosts Maine South in Beardsley Gym on Monday at 6.

This year, Maine South’s team will definitely pose some challenges on the court for the Kits.

“They have a lot of big hitters, but we are going to work hard on our defense and our blocking to try to shut them down,” Molly Conover, senior co-captain said.

One other challenge ETHS will face in this game is inexperience. Evanston only has five players that played at the varsity level last season. Maine South, on the other hand, has many experienced varsity players.

The team will be looking to the Wildkit faithful to gain a competitive edge.

“The girls really feed off the energy if there are people cheering right behind the court, so I think that it could make a huge difference if there is a huge crowd there,” coach Mallory Thelander said.

Senior libero/defensive specialist Caitlin Sweeney added, “I think positive energy filling Beardsley is always awesome and always supports the girls who are playing.”

Last year, against the Hawks, the team went 1-1 in their two contests.

The girls did not start off the season the way they would have liked. Unforced errors and missed serves lead to tough losses against Maine East, 25-17 and 25-20, and Lane Tech, 27-25 and 25-19, in the first two games of the season. Yet, there are still many encouraging signs.

“Our teammates and our bench especially have been very loud and supportive,”Sweeney said. “When we’re down in games, we are able to look to one another and feel that support.”

Thelander added, “It seems like the players still have positive, high energy. They are motivated to keep on working hard.”

Junior co-captain Patty Duffy, junior Claire Berne, senior Reed Frazel, and sophomore Rosemary Gibbons are some players who are playing well to start the season.

After the game against Maine South, Evanston will play three road games in a row facing off against Niles North on Sept. 21, Maine South again on Sept. 23, and Niles West on Sept. 27.