Monday bell schedule revised for staff development

Sarah Frieman, News Editor

To provide more time for teachers to engage in curriculum development and professional growth, the Monday bell schedule and dismissal time have been changed for the 2016-2017 school year.

“All teachers and staff will be participating in growth sessions called PD Mondays,” said Marcus Campbell, Assistant Superintendent and Principal. “Both instructional and non-instructional staff will be in some kind of training.”

Beginning August 29th, each Monday class period will last for 33 minutes. Students will be dismissed at 2:09 p.m. The start time for school will remain the same, with AM support beginning at 8 a.m.

Campbell said there were several different models for the Monday schedule, and two minutes had the least amount of impact on students and teachers.

ETHS and all District 202 offices will be closed from 2:20-4:00 p.m. on Mondays to allow time for this professional development. Participants will be trained in various ways.

“IT staff will take teachers and non-instructional staff through professional development around google apps, and Safety will train staff on various scenarios,” said Campbell. “The work is spread out given what the topic is.”

While the professional development will improve teacher and staff performance, the shortened class periods raise concerns that students are missing out on quality learning time.

“I think Monday schedules are way too short,” stated Campbell. “As we start to engage ourselves in better standards of professional practice, we have to roll up our sleeves and ask ourselves, do teachers and students have enough time to do what is expected?”

As for now, the new PD Monday schedule is permanent, and while it does cut off learning time, it is beneficial for students with busy schedules.

“I think students will be able to get home quicker and finish their homework faster,” said Peyton Vannatta, sophomore. “It also gives me more time for after school activities.”