Four reasons you should care about this election

Simone Williams, In-Depth Editor

Although most high school students won’t be able to vote in this upcoming election, it is still important to pay attention to what is going on.

Here are four reasons why you should care:

1. This election can be used as a learning experience.

“In my lifetime this is one of the most unique and interesting elections”, says American Legal Systems teacher, Steven Wool.

As students we can use this learn what works and what doesn’t so when we do vote the election will seem more clear and not as chaotic.

1. Women’s rights are still being challenged.

According to Miss Blog, nine out of ten victims of attempted or completed rape in the United States are women. With Donald Trump’s Access Hollywood tape and sexual assault allegations against him, sexual assault has become a major issue in the campaign.

This means that if you are a girl you should be wondering about what solutions our potential president will have to help defeat this issue.

1. African Americans are still facing oppression

According to a Southern Poverty Law Center report, this campaign is producing an alarming level of fear and anxiety among children of color.

Police brutality and systemic racism has been very prevalent over these few years. We should carefully analyze each candidate policy because this issue is well overdue for change.

1. This election will impact foreigners and travelers.

According to Go Abroad, foreign policy has always been central to the election because the president acts as a diplomat and commander-in-chief of the military.

Many of us are foreigners or plan on traveling abroad. It is important that we consider each president’s foreign policy to see if it fits our needs.