Seniors set sail for prom

Keturah Myles, Feature Editor

Mask On

With the masquerade fast approaching, students scramble to find the perfect dress, plan a flawless promposal and make May 27 a night to remember.

“Ebony and Cotillion are great, but prom is different. Prom is for everyone, ” says Nicole Boyd student activities director.

And although $125 may seem like a lot for a ticket to prom, Boyd works hard to ensure all students who are able to go can afford the opportunity to attend. Partnering with organizations such as Dreams Delivered, gives students access less expensive options for things such as dresses.

Additionally the price for the ticket offsets details that will make prom unlike any other school dance in the seniors past four years.

Since 1998 ETHS has stepped outside its comfort zone, choosing to host prom at the Navy Pier Grand Ballroom.

The dance begins mid-evening and goes until around 11:15 when students have the opportunity to change and board a midnight post-prom cruise.

Although around 700 students attend prom, only 300-400 chose to take the cruise.

“I wish more people would go on the boat because it is a great experience,” Boyd says.

Those who do board the ship spend the night socializing and cruising around Chicago until around 2:30 when the night draws to a close.

Another part of prom is the announcing of prom royalty. Ten members, chosen by seniors, make up the court. And traditionally while titles such as “king” and “queen”” are awarded to those who win, the committee is weighing on changing these to a more general “prom royalty” in efforts of creating a more gender welcoming environment.

Prom is aimed at ensuring that every senior leaves ETHS with a final and magical memory with their classmates.